Home Dargah Ajmer Ajmer Pushkar Tourist Places Festivals
Some of the Important Historical Places to Visit in Ajmer
It is a grand fort, located on a steep hill in south of Dargah Sharif, The height of the hill is 800 ft. During the reignof Rai Pithora, it was a famous and a strong fort and was considered it cannot be conquered. But Sultan Shahabuddin Ghauri conquered it without any difficulty and appointed Syed Meeran Husain (R.A.) as the Garrison Commander (Qiledaar). Night Attack on Taragarh.
Hazrat Khwaja Fakhruddin (R.A.) was the eldest son of Khwaja Sahib (R.A.) who earned his livelihood by farming in Mandal town. He was a great saint and a scholar as well . After twenty years of Khwaja Sahib. (R.A.) death he died in Sarwar town, some 40 miles away from Ajmer. His Mazar is located near a pond in the town. His Urs is celebrated on the 3rd of Shaban every year with great fervour. He was blessed with five sons. One of his sons, Hazrat Khwaja Hussamuddin was a perfect Sufi. His grave is at Sanbar Sharif. Every year on 13 and 14 Rajab Urs is organised.
To Reach Sarwar Sherif You can take a ST bus from Ajmer Bus Stand which is 15 minutes away from the Dargah. or you can hire a Sumo. There is regular Bus after every half an hour from Ajmer to Sarwar. It take around two hous to reach Sarwar.
Dhai Din Ka Jhopra or Dhai Din Ki Masjid is a grand Mosque, made of red stone and located at a high place. Sultan Shamsuddin Altamash got it repaired and made some modifications. One can reach the building, it starts from Dargah Bazar to west along the boundary wall of Dargah Sharif. After crossing Tirpoli Darwaza, there is Mohalla Inderkot. At a short distance from Inderkot this mosque is located on right hand side.
Ana Sagar is a beautiful lake in the heart of the city. There is a high hill on the south western side of Ana Sagar, known as Sada Bahar hil, On the South western corner of the hill is a small cave having a Tomb on the Top of it. Khwaja Gharib Nawaz (R.A.) took seclusion here for the first time. He used to sit on the stone-bench lying inside the Chillah Sharif and engaged himself in Contemplation.
On the top of a hill in the South of Dargah Sharif is a green coloured tomb. It is said that a brick of holy Mazar of hazrat Piran-e-Pir Dastagir (R.A.) is buried. That is why the place is famous as Chillah Bare Pir Sahib, otherwise Hazrat Piran Pir (R.A) never came to India.
Mir Osman Ali Khan, The Nizam of Hyderabad Deccan, erected the main gate of the Dargah Sharif in 1911. Upstairs small drums beat, during the day and night at an appointed hour. A view of Dargah Bazaar can be seen from the top of the gate.
following the Nizam gate is the Shahjahani gate
erected by Emperor Shahjahan. Before the
construction of the Nizam Gate this used to be the
main gate. Above the gate the Kalma Sharif is
inscribed in a beautiful style. The doors are made
of fine timber covered with silver-plated metal. In
the building above the gate there are two huge
Between Shahjahani gate and Buland Darwaza on the right hand side is situated the Akbari Mosque erected by Akbar with red sand stone, A religious institution (madarsa) has been located in this mosque called Darul-uloom.
Buland Darwaza is a high entrance that was erected by Mahmood Khilji or one of his successors. Before the commencement of Urs Sharif a flag is hoisted on top of this gate with grand ceremony on the 25th Jamadiulsaani for ushering the 'Urs' of Khwaja Saheb, which starts from 1st of Rajab (The 7th month of lunar Calendar)
is a free public kitchen where about 5 mounds of
barley meal is cooked twice a day and distributed to
the poor without any discrimination.
In memory of Queen Mary's visit to the Shrine, the roof of the tank was constructed by the British Government for the convenience of the worshippers.
The Mazar of Bibi Hafiz Jamal, daughter of Khwaja Sahib, is situated to the south of the Shrine. There is a small dome with a kalas on top of it. The doors of this tomb are plated with silver.
The two enclosures situated just outside the southern gate of the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Bibi-Hafiz Jamal bear the graves of some of the early descendants. The Holy Quran is recited by the devotees especially by ladies in these enclosures and the reward of this virtuous action is offered to the noble soul of Hazrat Khwaja Saheb.
This gate too is situated on the western side of the Shrine adjacent to the tomb of Gaiti Ara. The doors of the gate are covered with silver metal. It is opened only four times during the year, viz twice on ids (for one day) during the annual Urs (for six days) and on the 6th of Shawwal, the Urs of Khwaja Saheb's Pir.
The place where Khwaja Sahib stayed for a few days, when he came to Ajmer for the first time, has now been turned into a mosque called Aulia Masjid. It is made of white marble. Devotees use it only for recitation of Holy Quran and thanks giving prayers.
On either side of the second Buland Darwaza in front of Saham Chiragh (courtyard lamp), there are two huge Degs (cauldrons for cooking food) fixed into solid masonry in which a palatable mixture of rice sugar, ghee (butter) and dried fruits is cooked for distribution to the public as tabarruk. The circumference at the edge of the larger cauldron is 10-1/4 feet. It cooks 70 mounds of rice, while the smaller Deg takes 28 mounds. One of them was presented by Akbar in 1567 A.D. The princes or the well-to-do pilgrims order these Degs to be cooked generally during the Urs period.
On the west of the Saham Chiragh stands the magnificent building of Samakhana or Mahfilkhana (auditorium with darbar hall) which was built by Nawab Bashir-ud-Dowla Sir Asmaan Jah of Hyderabad Deccan in 1888-91 A.D. This spacious hall is 46 feet square with a gallery of 14 feet running around it. It is used for 6 days only during the annual Urs for religious ‘Mahfils’ in which Qawwali is the chief item of programme commencing at 11 P.M. and ending with Fatiha (a religious ceremony) in the early hours of morning at 4 A.M.
Overhanging the principal eastern to the Shrine or Mausoleum, there is a handsome porch known as Begami Daalaan which was built in 1643 AD by Princess Jahan Ara Begam, the favorite daughter of Emperor Shah Jahan.
The walls and the beautiful marble pillars of the Begami Daalaan were done in colorful gold in 1888 AD. Later on, the ceiling of this Daalaan was also embellished in gold with the money donated by a Muslim merchant of Bombay. This beautiful portico was used by the Begams or ladies of the Moghul harem during their frequent visits to the shrine.
There are two simultaneous entrances to the Shrine through the Begami Daalaan. The doors of both of them are mounted with heavy silver plate carved in ornamental details. The tomb is of white marble inlaid with pieces of precious stones and is daily bestrewed with sandal-paste and Itars (perfumes). It is always covered with very costly ‘ghilaafs’ (coverings made of velvet and silk) embroidered with pleasing gold and silver tracings.
Over the tomb, there is a silver ‘chaparkhat’ (canopy) inlaid with pieces of mother-of-pearl presented by Emperor Jahangir. Between the four poles supporting this `chaparkhat’, there is silver `katehra’ (railing) with an arch towards the south. There is another outer silver katehra running around the tomb at a distance of about 2 feet. The devotees are led into this space to offer flowers and prayers over the tomb. The ceiling of the dome is covered by a costly velvet chatgiri. A peculiar kind of fascinating aroma prevails in the shrine which inspires the visitors with a spontaneous and irresistible urge for devotion and homage towards the asleep saint. As soon as one enters the interior of the shrine, he feels as if he is in the presence of some exalted soul or mighty spiritual king.
Home Dargah Ajmer Ajmer Pushkar Tourist Places Festivals